Sunday, January 21, 2007

Sad, Sad Day....

I'm not one to Blog all my family's happenings, but this was just something I needed to get out.
About 6:14 this morning I missed a call from my SIL. I thought it was a bit odd ~ a call from her that early in the morning ~ AND on a Sunday. She is almost NEVER up that early. I was still in bed when the call came through, then went to do laundry & shower before I saw the missed call. Before I was able to return it, Hubby called ~ our 16 yr old niece and 4 other teens were in a terrible car accident about 4 this morning. Details are still a little sketchy, but our niece & a girlfriend told their Moms they were spending the night at another girlfriend's house, but instead went out joy riding with 3 or 4 guy friends. Apparently the car flipped over & our niece & her girlfriend were thrown from the car. The friend is on life support & things do not look very good. Our niece was "lucky". She has multiple scrapes & bruises on her face, {no concussion thank God}, but shattered bones on her right ankle & shattered bones in her left heel. She is currently in surgery & my SIL will know more when she's out. But one thing's for sure ~ she's going to be in a wheelchair for several months and may need both physical & mental therapy. They thought one of the boys was dead at the scene, but they've since gotten some brain activity, so are praying for good news.
Our niece just turned 16 on the 11th, and was so exited about getting her license, now it's going to be months before she can. I told the girls what happened, and can only hope this has an impact on them and they make the right decision if they're ever in a similar situation.
I am off to my Mother's to celebrate her 64th birthday with my sisters, it's a little silver lining on our cloud today.

17 comments:

Erin (moviemuse) said...

I'm so sorry! {{{hugs}}} to all of your family. I hope she has a good recovery, and I really hope others can learn from her mistakes.

Anonymous said...

Oh Fernlili, I'm so sorry, I hope your neice and the other kids come through this ok. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.
hugs, Nj0

Anonymous said...

I was so sorry to read about your niece and her friends. I will put them all on my prayer list. Hope you were able to enjoy your mom's birthday. Keep us posted on your niece's progress.

Serena said...

I'm so sorry sweetie! I'll keep everyone in my thoughts! That's sad!

::hugs!!::

JoAnn said...

Hi Fernlili! I'm so sorry about your niece! I hope she and her friends are ok and that they have a quick recovery. I'll keep them in my thoughts and prayers. :)

katg1006 said...

How Tragic! I am so sorry that this happened to your family ((hugs))) I hope everything goes well.

LoriM said...

Best wishes to the kids.

Mama Jane said...

I'm so sorry and I am hoping for the best outcome for all involved. I have teenagers...one dd who is 16 but I have not yet allowed to get a licence. This is one of my fears.

Anonymous said...

My prayers are with you and your family, it sure sounds like your niece had a few angels looking after her. It is not a nice phone call to get, on Jan 9 2004 I got a similar phone call, but unfortunately my 7 year old niece did not make it. I will keep your brother and his family in my prayers. Hope your mum has an awesome birthday gathering.

Anonymous said...

Hugs to your family ... it's heartbreaking to see a life shattered because of things like this.

Anonymous said...

wow...i will keep you all in my prayers...

Anonymous said...

We try so hard to keep them safe but let them grow. I am so sorry; what a hard lesson. My prayers are with you and your entire family and especially your niece. As someone once said - "life is fragile, handle with prayer."

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry your family is going thru this tragedy and scarey time.
I'm glad you felt able to share this with us, and I'll say a prayer for your neice and her friends!!

Anonymous said...

With tears in my eyes and hurt for your family in my heart I send a prayer to God for you and your family. I've been there with a teenage driver. May God heal you all.

Anonymous said...

Oh how sad indeed! I am so sorry! I will offer prayers your way. Keep us posted.
Krista

Anonymous said...

Prayers are being sent your way!

Felicia McB said...

so very sorry to hear about thism prayers said! keep us posted